Ms. Baird's Rockin' 1st Grade
Greetings Jan. 21st - 25th
“We must learn to live together as brothers or we will perish together as fools” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
How about that snow day? It was unexpected and relaxing all at once. I hope that you were able to take advantage of our four-day weekend and remember that MLK Jr. Day is a celebration for unity and compassion for one another. In this week’s Friday folder, you can find information about your students’ progress. If you would like to discuss your students’ progress in more detail, please feel free to contact me and we will set up a time.
This week we will be focusing on the following:
- Problems and Solutions
- R-controlled words spelled –or and -ore
- Spelling words: house, so, or, day, give, now, how, when, mom, mommy
- Apply the communitive property of addition to add
- Add fluently with sums to 10
- Demonstrate an understanding that the equal sign indicated equivalence
- Model with mathematics
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
I ask that you read with your child for at least 15 minutes a night and practice these skills with them every day.
- ARC Level Reading Cards- This will show your students current reading level and the skills that they need to work on. If your student has two cards, it means that they are almost ready for the next level.
- Bridges Math Progress Report
- DIBELs- Students were assessed on two different skills.
- Nonsense Word Fluency (NWF)-- Correct Letter Sound (CLS) and Whole Words Read: measure the alphabetic principle including letter-sound correspondence in which letters represent their most common sounds and of the ability to blend letters into words in which letters represent their most common sounds. Example: maf, rak
- DIBELS Oral Reading Fluency (DORF) --Accuracy, Fluency, Retell: Students read three stories and their score was based on the average of all three stories. If students were able to read more than 15 words in one minute, they moved onto the retell portion of the assessment.
- Behavior Report
- Jan. 21- NO School MLK Jr. Day
- Jan. 25- Progress Report sent home
- Feb. 15- No School
- Winter Dance 6-8pm BIS
- Feb. 18- No School President Day
- March 8- No school, Work Day
- March 11- No School
- March 15- No School- Conferences
- March 25-29 Spring Break